2.10.2010

Be on time

The other night I took in my first Indian cinema experience. We were wanting to see "the Book of Eli", no not a Bollywood yet; that is next week. We went to two different theaters, right next to each other. Neither one had it, so we settled for "Armored". We ordered our tickets, where I was told my seat number and where it was located. After we went through security for the fourth time, since we parked, we saw the concession stand. I picked up a chicken dog and a coke. The nice young man grabbed my ticket and told me where my seat was again. As all five of us went through the doors, someone heard that we could sit anywhere that the theater was empty.

Sure enough it was and the movie was started as well. The movie was advertised to start at 6:30PM and it did. We got in around 6:40PM and we missed the first 10 minutes. There are no commercials for movies here, I guess. As I sat down in the seat, the guy next to me said stretch back your seat, so I tried to figure it out and sure enough I am laid almost straight out watching the movie. Brilliant, as my English friends would say. Starting to like this expression.

So half way through the movie their was an intermission, where the movie stopped for five minutes or so, where you could go to the washroom/bathroom/toilet, buy some concessions or what ever. Then five minutes later the movie just starts back up where it left. Kind of nice actually. The movie needed a break, save you money. If you do not ever see, you are not missing out an anything. The cast is deceiving.

I was told that you could even pay online and pick your seats. One of the biggest movies of the year is coming out in two days here. It is called "My name is Khan" and I am thinking about going to see it just to say that I did. I will only understand 12% of it, because there is no subtitles,, but it will be worth it. The best part is that it costs less than renting a movie at Blockbuster.

So next time you are in India, don't be late for the movies.

No comments: